Assam’s Manas National Park Celebrates Record Footfall of Tourists

Assam’s Manas National Park Celebrates Record Footfall of Tourists from Nov 23 - Feb 24

By JAGAT [16-Feb-24] Amidst the verdant terrains of Assam, Manas National Park has achieved a noteworthy milestone in its commitment to sustainable tourism. Situated in the foothills of the Eastern Himalayas, this biodiversity hotspot has not only enchanted wildlife enthusiasts but has also made substantial contributions to the economy of the state.

  • As of December 7, 2023, Manas National Park has registered a noteworthy income of Rs 23 lakh in the past two months.
  • During the period from October 1 to November 30, the park attracted around 9,000 visitors, with 353 of them being foreign tourists.
  • Officials note a significant increase in the number of animals within Manas National Park during this time.
  • Domestic and foreign tourists visiting the national park have had the opportunity to observe the free movement of various bird species, including tigers, rhinos, elephants, buffaloes, and bison.
  • The opening of the Bansbari, Bhuiyapara, and Panbari ranges for tourists has resulted in an overall increase in tourist numbers across all three ranges of the national park.
  • As of February 2024, park authorities report that approximately 31,200 visitors have explored the park, including 570 foreign tourists.
manas record footfall

The Manas National Park Authority had foreseen a substantial surge in tourist numbers for December and January 2024. Recognized as a UNESCO Natural World Heritage Site, the park witnessed the visitation of more than 30,725 tourists, including 410 foreign visitors, from April 2023 to December 2022.

Assam takes the lead as the predominant contributor of domestic tourists to Manas National Park, accounting for 77% of the total Indian visitors. The remaining 23% come from diverse states and Union Territories. Additionally, the park has set a record in international tourism, hosting 799 foreign guests from 34 different countries to experience its natural wonders.

The park's resilience is underscored by its ability to prosper even in the face of the guidelines established by the Hon'ble Supreme Court under Project Tiger, which had no adverse effects on the revenue from night stays or the tourist count at Mothanguri. Demonstrating a dedication to delivering outstanding experiences, Manas National Park continues to attract visitors through sought-after Jeep Safari and Elephant Safaris, appealing to both domestic and international tourists. The peak visitation period is observed in January 2024, with December and November 2023 following closely.

Nestled in the heart of Assam, the Manas National Park stands as a haven for diverse flora and fauna, drawing a significant influx of tourists this season. Traditionally, the optimal time to explore this UNESCO Heritage Natural World Site is from November to April. According to park officials, wildlife sightings have been abundant in 2024, with Bhuyanpara recording the highest number of sightings. Situated along the banks of the Manas River, a Brahmaputra tributary, the park is home to an array of species, including Bengal Tigers, Asian Elephants, Indian One-horned Rhinoceros, barking deer, hoolock gibbons, rare golden langurs, and more. Ranking as the second most popular national park in Assam, Manas National Park closely follows the renowned Kaziranga National Park in the Golaghat district.

About the author

j s bharti

Jagat Singh Bharti

An efficient SEO Analyst of ZOOMX Technology, Jagat is a competent individual, dedicated towards the fair ranking of the website. He remains particular about the online presence of GTI Travels PVT LTD. His primary responsibilities enclose conducting research for effective keywords for website content, blogs and articles, inspect the website traffic, and coming up with updated SEO strategies to ensure excellent user experience.